HOME navbar photo NewHOME.jpg  photo NewWEBSHOP.jpg PROJECTS navbar photo NewPROJECTS.jpg ART navbar photo NewART.jpg LIFE navbar photo NewLIFE.jpg CONTACT navbar photo NewCONTACT.jpg

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Overdyed rug inspiration

I have been shopping for a new rug for my living room for a little while, I'm finding it tricky to find the right rug because of two reasons. Firstly that I'm cheap, and secondly that I'm picky. This means that finding an inexpensive, awesome rug isn't proving easy.
Whilst searching online for interesting rugs I came across these overdyed rugs.


Image borrowed from decor8

These highly saturated rugs are old Persian style rugs, bleached and then re-dyed in vibrant hues. A very clever way to sell a rug that has seen better days, and let me tell you, these babies aren't cheap.

Although I would like to think that my creative ways are purely inspired by the joy of making, truthfully however, my thrifty tendencies are a huge motivating factor in undertaking projects. I happen to have a Persian style rug of my own currently covering the floor of my living area and it's looking more than a little worse for wear (I originally found it in the barn at my old house).


Image from decor8

I have been researching techniques on dying  rugs and it sounds like a tricky process. Both stripping the original colour and then re-dying sounds like an involved and fairly hit and miss project. The success of both steps hinge on the materials from which the rug is made and I have no idea if my carpet is a wool or synthetic blend But I'm feeling brave and have nothing to lose, I'm throwing caution to the wind, I'm entering uncharted territories and have begun developing my own technique instead!

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

X Steph